Monday, October 31, 2005

AHHH The sound of Silence!

After a crazy week and a half, I am sitting here planning my day, enjoying a hot cocoa and finishing up my oatmeal. My 5 and 3 YOs are at school, and the boy just settled himself for a nap.

AAAHHH Mommy time! Ok, not really, but at least I get one uninterrupted hot meal in me before I set out on my day, which will consist of cleaning my home and planning the next few dinners, catching up on laundry and maybe even changing some bed linens for a bit of excitement!

Such is the life for a stay at home mom. Now don't get me wrong. I LOVE this field now more than ever! I like the freedom to choose where I will perform some of my routine tasks, and the gratification I get when I see one of my charges succeed!

True, the pay is horrible, the hours are long, and there is no time off for sickness and you are expected to work straight through the holidays and any vacation you may actually squeeze in! You are responsible for the bookkeeping, the meal planning, the chauffeur duties, the housekeeping, the social planning, gift buying, mental health assessments, and night watchman duties. You have to play doctor, mediator, fashion consultant, detective, nanny, helpmate, and sometimes even the gardener, landscaper, mechanic, and secretary, be quick on your feet and at times show no emotion. You also have to be the soft place to fall and know when a hug is better than any words you can come up with. You have to have a kind smile and a look that can stop delinquents in their tracks. You should have 4 arms and the strength of 10 men! You have eyes in the back of your head, yet know when to look away!

You should be able to do this all while looking cool and collected! You should be able to accomplish this all without a shower most days! With a baby tucked under one arm, and singing along to "Victor Vito". And get this...you should do it willingly, with love, compassion and so much gusto that you fall into bed totally exhausted but yet feeling very fulfilled.

Ah yes, my silence has just been broken. My breakfast is done. I must go swoop up the boy, reboot the laundry and do the dishes...all while singing a silly song and feeding him. Then look forward to the next sounds of silence!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home