Friday, October 21, 2005

NOW I understand why you go to college!

Yes, higher learning is important, but I think the single best thing I got out of my brief stint at college was dealing with the lack of sleep, late nights and occasional gibberish coming from my room mates. OK, I didn't really have room mates since I lived at home, but I needed a third thought to make that thought look more complete.

Yes, in college I KNEW 5 o'clock came twice a day. I had 3 jobs and a full class load. 3 days a weeks I would crawl into bed at 5 AM! This is different, but I now see why I had such an insane schedule: I was preparing for motherhood!!

5 years ago I had the biggest reality check when I heard the words "Its a girl!!" It was the wee hours of the morning, but I was suddenly no longer tired! I had performed a feat thousands of years old, yet still awe striking. I had created life! As I sat in my hospital bed alone with my new daughter for the first time, all I could do was stare and wonder and SMILE! There was so much potential there. So much wonder and so much need. Not just her need, but mine as well. I suddenly realized that God had entrusted ME to bring up this new human. It was up to ME to not only care for this child, but teach her how to care about others, how to be polite, eat, eventually cook, stand up for herslef, and when to stand silent. In a few years I would have to teach her how to be a big sister, something I only have a little experience in and how to be the oldest, something I have NO experience in.

I was still learning how to be me, and now I had to teach someone else how to be her. Fortunately this doesn't need to be taught all at once. She CAN learn while I figure it out, too, and no, I do not have to teach her EVERYTHING. She is a smart girl, something I'd like to get full credit for, but she only got 1/2 of my genes. She IS caring and fairly compassionate and starting to get that it isn't all about her, something a few of us need to learn.

She went to sleep a 4 year old. And she knows this. Our upstairs neighbor stopped by to borrow a movie and she told her that she was 4 and even help up that many fingers. Then she happily told her that when she wakes up, she will be this many...and held up as many fingers as she could on one hand. Yes, even she knew in the wee hours of the morning she would be transformed.

Since I was up with my boy once again, I got to peek in on my now 5 YO. When did she get so big? She is 1/2 the length of her twin bed. When she first got that bed at around 17 months, she could easily sleep sideways if the mood struck. Now, she could, if she stayed curled up and not stretch out. I first realize how "grown up" she was getting back in March. Her first real hair cut. My dear Husband and I were discussing her hair trim since it was almost hanging in the potty when she went. She over heard us and asked if she could give her hair to kids that don't have any. MY GIRL!! YES!! A victory for moms everywhere, but a sadness came over me too for I was a bit selfish in wanting to keep her little. I did relent and let her donate 11 inches of her beautiful hair to Locks of Love. Her new hair style made her smile from ear to ear and I, caught up in her enthusiam, grinned back at her new "big girl" cut.

And now...5. Yeah 5. (Elmos fans will get the reference LOL!) My Sweet girl is getting older and she has already taught me so much. I can't wait to see what else she will teach me. College was good for learning, but this Motherhood thing is a very hands on classroom!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home